Sunday, August 28, 2016

A Day In the Life

I cannot conceive how I was ever busy before kids.  I'm sure I felt busy.  I'm sure I felt like there was never enough hours in a day.  But... how?  Sometimes I laugh at this life.  Like--how am I supposed to do all of this?  But they're good days.  And today was a perfectly typical Sunday. 

7:00 a.m. Jason rolled out of bed.
7:30 a.m. Ezra started testing his vocal range, which came through the baby monitor.
7.50 a.m. Jason went into the kid's room.  I listened to him wake the kids.  He left them briefly to take out the diaper trash and I listened to Ezra talk to Broccoli Rob.  "Hello, Rob.  Rob.  Rob.  Rob.  Rob.  Rob, it's a trash."  I could see him clearly in my mind holding up the toy trash bin that goes to his recycling truck.  "It's a trash, Rob.  Rob.  Rob.  Hi, Rob."
8:00 a.m. Jason and the kids were wrestling, and I turned off the baby monitor.  I get to "sleep in" on weekends.
9:30 a.m. I meandered downstairs with my mind on a cup of coffee and was met with Elliot on her floor mat and Ezra watching trash trucks on YouTube.  I chased him into the kitchen, where Jason was making breakfast.  I gave him a peck on the cheek and turned on the Keurig.  We talked about how we slept and how Jason was feeling particularly tired.  He filled me in on Ellie's bottles and diapers while I stirred creamer into my coffee. 
9:45 a.m. I snuggled Elliot.  Jason and Ezra ate breakfast while we talked about some unexpected bills and how our grocery bill is extremely slim this week.  We talked about Christmas and what we wanted to do for Christmas next year.
10:00 a.m. Ezra threw a fit because I wouldn't read him a book about mice making pizza.  Jason laughed because I said, "Ezra, mommy gets autonomy, too.  I'm talking to dada, so I don't want to read that book."  Ezra melted.  He was finally soothed with a hug.  We both commented on how he seemed tired.
10:10 a.m. Jason went upstairs for his designated work time.
10:15 a.m. I started feeding Elliot, who seemed incredibly tired.  She fell asleep in my arms and I had to convince Ezra not to scream about the trash truck he couldn't get onto the ottoman, promising to help him in just a minute.
10:20 a.m. I put Elliot in the Rock n' Play in the bathroom, refilled my cup, and convinced Ezra to bring the trash truck upstairs. 
10:30 a.m. I planned to play on the iPad and sip my coffee while Ezra played, but the kids' room was a mess so I ended up organizing bins of clothes, and too small diapers, and little piles of things that build up everywhere.  Ezra opened and shut the closet door for a half hour, read books, played in his cozy coupe, pushed his train, rolled his garbage truck, and finally melted when he couldn't find his cup of milk.
12:34 p.m. I looked at the time, commented to Ezra that it was 1234, and shut off two lamps.  Ezra jumped in my lap and we read two books and then cuddled.
12:45 p.m. Ezra was in his crib, asleep.  I quietly exited and saw that Jason was napping (unusual!).  I leaned against the bathroom vanity and looked in the mirror long enough to notice I still had yesterday's make up smeared under my eyes, before I heard Elliot cry downstairs.  Big exhale. 
12:47 p.m. I made a bottle, retrieved Elliot, plopped on the couch, and read a news article about a surrogate case in Wisconsin.
12:55 p.m. Jason came downstairs and we talked about our grocery bill again.  We made faces at Elliot and took turns making her laugh.  I tossed her into Jason's arms so I could go upstairs and get dressed.
1:05 p.m. I threw on a pair of skinny jeans and a maternity shirt and threw my hair into a bun.  Mom-style.  I put Elliot into her car seat and Jason had his head under the hood of his car while we drove off.
1:20 p.m. We arrived at Publix.  It was crowded and I had to park far away and lug that giant ass car seat.  I debated whether or not Ellie is old enough to sit on her own in the cart, but decided against it.
1:30 p.m.  Grocery list.
  • Strawberries
  • Celery
  • Bananas 
  • Apples
  • Carrots (julienned)
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Granola bars
  • Dinner rolls
  • Shredded cheese
  • Tomato sauce
  • Soup
  • Juice
  • Sliced cheese
  • Milk
  • Yogurt
  • Ricotta
  • Spaghetti sauce
2:10 p.m. Elliot was unfazed by the trip.  $50.  $10 over budget.   I open the carrots and ate some on my way home.
2:25 p.m. I get Elliot out of the car and into the house, wondering to myself if I could ever possibly forget her in the car.  I literally wave to stop my imagination and bring the groceries into the house.  I shut the door behind me just as Jason and Ezra come downstairs.  We each ate a few of the carrots while I put the groceries away.
2:40 p.m. I fed Ellie a bottle and asked Jason if he wanted to go on a walk.
2:50 p.m. Ezra was excited to get into his little car rider and Ellie sat sleepily in her umbrella stroller.  We walked up the road and I told Jason about how much I hate Sam's Club.  We both talked about work.
3:30 p.m. We arrived back home--the four of us sweaty and hot.  I put Ellie in a bouncer, Ezra played with his trash truck, and I started frying up some grilled cheese sandwiches and put a pot of potato soup on the stove.  Jason eventually came downstairs and fed Elliot again.
3:50 p.m. Everyone sat down for dinner.  Ezra promptly poured his soup over his grilled cheese and proceeded to eat nothing.  Jason and I chatted and joked about our children's future political affiliations.
4:30 p.m.  It was clear that Elliot needed a nap, but she refused.  I took a break from trying to make her and clipped her nails while Jason cleaned the kitchen.  I tried to bribe Ezra into letting me clip his nails.  The popsicle was not motivating enough, apparently. 
5:00 p.m. I cornered Ezra on the stairs and he agreed to let me cut his nails if I gave him a popsicle.  Finally.  He enjoyed his white cherry flavored mini popsicle and didn't care when I pretended to cry because he wouldn't give me a taste.
5:15 p.m. Jason asked Ezra if he wanted to take a shower with him.  Ezra threw his popsicle in the trash and jumped into the shower.
5:30 p.m. I set Ezra up with the iPad and some trash truck videos and then bathed Elliot.  I rocked her and fed her and put her to bed.
6:00 p.m. I read Ezra two books in my room and then told him to tell Jason goodnight.  He cried and ran to him and gave him a long hug.  Jason listed all of the things we did this weekend and asked him if he enjoyed it.  He replied "yeah" to each one.
6:20 p.m. I held Ezra, rocking him in his dark room, his sister sleeping nearby.  I thought about motherhood and how I hadn't done a single thing for myself all day--except coffee.  I thought about how I didn't even care--like I didn't even feel like I was missing out and how many years ago, I might have looked at a daily agenda of my current life and felt selfishly guarded of my time.  But now, I just don't care.  I love my life and I loved my day.  And I rocked my baby and wondered if I remembered to put shorts with his outfit for tomorrow.  And I wondered where I put the bug repellent.
6:55 p.m. I closed their bedroom door behind me and breathed a sigh of accomplishment.
7:01 p.m. Ben and Jerry's and a Real Housewives of New Jersey rerun.
7:30 p.m. I started making a list of all of the things I needed to do before bed.  Dishes.  Bottles.  Launder the tablecloth and place mats.  Make my lunch. 
10:00 p.m. Still on the couch.  Not at all productive.  I hope to be in bed in approximately 15 minutes. 

This is the day.  This is a day with an infant and a toddler.  I cannot conceive of how I ever thought I was busy.  And I can't even recall what the hell I used to do with my weekends.  I think I slept a lot more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment